9/10/2004

Regular Guy

When you Google "Atkins" and "constipation" you get 31500 links, so it is not an uncommon side effect. I've never had it before, but I'm guessing the recent superhumid weather dehydrated me enough to trigger a bout.

My remedy is a level teaspoon of ground psyllium husks sprinkled into a glass of "carb counter chocolate drink" and left overnight in the fridge. It isn't really milk, it is more of a viscous cocoa-laced industrial extrusion of dairy byproducts, but it is thick and gets even thicker with the powdered fiber without feeling grainy or even irritable as you sip it.

It's a way to squeeze some value into otherwise empty calories.

Consumer Reports did a feature on all the diets earlier this year, focussing on whether the low-carb snacks that are coming out are really "free calories." Although the Atkins folks do seem to suggest that you can eat all this stuff you want without gaining weight, the article went on to suggest that the "original" diet was conceived before the advent of low-carb Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and that padding your diet with low-carb junk food will slow your weight loss or even stop it.

So I maybe have two or three such treats in a week, "as needed." Come to think of it, if I had the sense to limit my sweets to two or three treats a week for the last 20 years, maybe I would have avoided the need for this diet in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home