9/08/2004

The St(r)eak

I have gone low-carb, following the Atkins plan. This means no sugar, no fruit, no flour, and no "sweet vegetables." In the "Induction Phase," I limit myself to 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, derived mostly from three cups of green salad or two cups of salad plus one cup of other veggies. I take a vitamin supplement that contains some other fruit solids and a flaxseed/fish oil pill that is designed to send good stuff to my heart.

In the future I'll go into meal details, but right now I'll keep it short: I eat fresh food exclusively, in as large a quantity as I want, three times a day. No counting calories, no counting fat grams, nothing to count but 20 grams of carbs. That's it.

Once my system got over the shock (a few days), staying on the plan has been easy, in the physical sense. It's not like nicotine, where it has been proven your body actually produces a physical craving. No, the problem is in the head: the mental cravings. Sweets after dinner. Little carb "rewards" for good things in the day, or "compensation" to get over bad things. That was harder.

Other than trying to keep my final goal in sight, the way I beat out the impulses to cheat was to imagine myself on a streak. Like a baseball no-hitter, or a winning streak. To keep me going, I would think, I've gone XXX days without cheating, I can't break my streak now. I have no idea how that was a convincing argument with myself, yet there it is: it's been working.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a Barnegat NJ fan,good job Diet Man, I'm also on a diet,Iknow how it feels, every time I meet with friends all they do is eat cake and sweets,I just pick a piece, walk with it for a while and trow it in the trash.Keep on low carbing!!!!

September 9, 2004 at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home